The Latitude C640 I'm using right now is on its 3rd keyboard/trackpad. If I
leave it sitting on the desktop it does fine, but if I really use it like a
laptop was intended, the crappy plastic case flexes and eventually breaks
the trackpads. Very poor design.

Unfortunately, the company I work for switched from IBM Thinkpads to the
Dells several years ago based purely on initial cost. The fact that they had
to buy twice as many to cover for all the broken units apparently didn't
make it into the cost calculations.

I carried a Thinkpad T21 for over a year, traveling constantly, and never
had a problem. Now I'm afraid I can't even leave my desk without a laptop
meltdown!

I did manage to break a Thinkpad once. Dropped it from the top of a car onto
a concrete parking lot. Broke the flat panel and popped one key off the
keyboard, but it still booted up and ran fine. Bought a replacement panel
off Ebay for $50, and my daughter is still carrying that computer around
school with her.

Gary Thompson
Georgetown, TX
1995 E320