I was very loyal to VW (family owned bugs & microbusses since the '50s) but our experience with a 95 Jetta changed that. Their trannys are supposedly sealed, no fluid check or add needed, good for a lifetime. Doesn't work out that way in practice, though. The *%&$ trans seal tended to dry out and then leak. No way to check the fluid level, so when the trans would start to slip, we would bring it in to the dealership, and would be told either that they could not duplicate the problem, or

1). Yes, the trans is under warranty, but
2). Fluids and seals are not covered and
3). They would replace the seal and add new fluid for the low low cost of $600 or thereabouts.

Happened twice. Then the trans died completely, and they tried to reneg on the warranty. I ended up spending several days on this issue, going to two dealerships, being lied to and generally screwed around, and finally had to have the case elevated to a regional manager with VW before they would honor their warranty.

A word to the wise on the new Beetles. Whilst I was in the waiting room of the dealership's service department, I heard the service tech explaining to a young lady with a new bug that yes, it was just her headlight bulb that was burned out, but that in order to get to it they had to dismantle the front trim and sheet metal and the labor would be $175. That just ain't right.

Lee

Christopher McCann wrote:

I was told the new bugs and VW's in general nowadays were very prone to breakdown and bad dealer support. The fact that my parents' Jetta was a TOTAL LEMON didn't help that. I like the TDI bugs, what can you tell us about your experience? Chris

Bob Rentfro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  Here's the current lineup:

'77 300D 147K (you know)
'87 Acura Legend 167K
'01 VW Beetle TDI 59K

Bob Rentfro

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher McCann" To: "Mercedes Discussion List" Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 9:09 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] VWTD

Bob, what other cars do you have that we don't know about?

 Chris

Bob Rentfro  wrote:  Luther typed:

"Be nice Chris, that means he would have been procreating at JBU......"

Whoa.....how could he be doing that? I believe they had a strict
every-date-must-be-chaperoned rule.
Bible College students had to be very creative.

List content: I really dig my Beetle TDI...almost bought a new Quantem in
'81 I believe...but The Queen of All Time, Space and Dimension has a cousin
who sold Fords...so I got a Fiesta instead.

Bob Rentfro (a one time creative, always getting detentions for long hair
bible college student)
'77 300D 147K
Litchfield Park, AZ

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-2005 Blue Point Siamese, "Rose"
-1987 300TD, 151K, "Rotkäppchen"
-1985 300SD, 210K, "Wulf"
-1976 240D, ?K, "AKP-Wagen" (Alternativen Kraftstoffs Prüfenlastwagen)
-1972 Jacobsen 21" Turbo Vent
-1971 Case 222 Hydrive, 12HP Kohler, 38" deck, Snowcaster, "One Banger"