American engineers can build about anything if you give them a blank check; re: the Moon and Mars landings.
Gerry

On 3/5/2014 12:28 AM, Scott Ritchey wrote:
It's worth noting that there has been no shortage of innovation in US
military aircraft, even now (e.g., F-22, IOC 2005, and F-35, IOC 2010).  I
don't accept that we are no longer capable of innovation, only that we're
too lazy and unmotivated.

In fact, military aircraft engineers probably innovate too much (which is
responsible for some of the delays and cost overruns).  But when a design
may be front-line inventory for 30 years or [much] more you want to make it
as capable as possible.  Examples: B-52 (IOC 1955), C/KC 135s (IOC 1957),
C130 (IOC 1958), T-38 (IOC 1961), F-15 (IOC 1975), F-16 (IOC 1980), KC-10
(IOC 1982), etc.  all still front-line inventory.

Ref:
http://www.airforcemag.com/MagazineArchive/Magazine%20Documents/2010/May%202
010/0510weapons.pdf

-----Original Message-----
From: Mercedes [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of G Mann
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 11:08 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Norwegian Air Shuttle Scheme

On that same thread.. one of the most advanced aircraft to be produced,
the
Beach Starship, an all composite canard design was a design strongly
influenced by Bert Rutan.  Beach jumped through all kinds of hoops with
the
FAA to get certification for composite construction airframe, yet found it
impossible to establish the absolute finite life or number of landing
cycles for the airframe.

Beach only sold something like 50 of the design. People who owned them
absolutely loved them. One of my very good aviation friends was chief
pilot
for a company that used them as exec aircraft, and has loads of hours
flying them. However.

The decision was made by the company that now owns Beachcraft to BUY THEM
ALL BACK and store them rather than face the possibility of product
liability as the airframes aged.

Product liability lawyers "10" .... Aviation "0"  .....

That issue is the overriding issue with Cessna, Piper, and every other
manufacturer.  The Cessna 172, 4 place airplane with fixed landing gear,
now sells for nearly $400,000 new. Before lawsuit became the answer to
stupid piloting that same airplane sold new for something like $45,000.

The same spillover has happened in Medicine [no sole practitioner GP
Doctors that I can find.. all big HMO to pay the malpractice insurance].
Car companies.. same issue.
Buy aspirin... sealed in 3 layers of tamper proof packaging and then a
child proof cap.. why.. ??? product liability...
Kids toys..
Clothing..
Everything has taken the hit..
Buy a beer without a product warning lately?
cigar?