ANYWAY, the 606 is direct injection, so no pre chamber.

I don't think so!

Why is this?  EGR is dumping a bunch of carbon, but did all this come
about recently?  With #5 dead, it has been hard to start and smoking at
start about as bad as Gump.  This is less than a month of hard start,
so I am amazed if this results in one month.

I'm told it doesn't take long, because it's kind of a self-perpetuating
process unless the majority of your driving is Italianate in nature.
Probably being indirect in nature (a 6XX part number) it's a lot more
sensitive to glop in the prechamber.  Start with glop, and it stays
that way for awhile.  And once you're over the threshold, it never
goes away.

-- Jim