I'm old enough that I was born at home and the Dr. came on a house call to
make delivery. There was no medical insurance at all in those days, the
Doctors were a respected member of the community and charged what he was
worth.

This continued until I was about 25 yrs. old, then we started having
lawyers and mal-practice cases with settlements in numbers larger than
anyone had ever heard of.  This practice by lawyers grew exponentially in
less than 10 years, with each case instilling fear into Doctors
everywhere.  A $10 office visit quickly became $20. Price for medicines
doubled, then tripled, then rose to a point not possible to calculate
against actual cost to produce as the lawyers pushed the limits of
settlements higher and higher..

Then came Doctors who, after being sole practitioners for years [some for
decades], suddenly forced with the choice... buy huge insurance policy or
go out of business.. quickly Insurance companies raised policy fees as they
paid lawyers and settlements.  Then came this new invention.... the HMO....
a consortium of Doctors banded together under one insurance policy for
protection, each paying less than they would with individual coverage...
Yeah.. great plan.. almost...

Soon, HMO's eliminated house calls [risk exposure, better to keep the
patient under our roof and have tighter control of everything according to
insurance underwriter], which meant, more equipment and support staff to
run the HMO clinics and fill out now required paper work.. keep records to
cover your ass for when you are sued..

By lawyers...

An illustration of what is wrong with congress

<http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/03/bruce_braley_s_gaffe_the_iowa_democrat_who_attacked_chuck_grassley_and_iowa.html>http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/03/bruce_braley_s_gaffe_the_iowa_democrat_who_attacked_chuck_grassley_and_iowa.html

"goobermnt of the shysters, by the shysters, for the shysters"

Would  you vote for this shyster?