Time ran a major expose on the medical rip offs perpetuated by hospitals and
insurance companies.  The cost to provide is not really that high.  The game is
already agreed upon between insurance and hospitals so that nobody is getting
poor on their side.  The hospitals have a Charge Book that has prices pulled
out of the air or a bodily orifice.   Exorbitant price so they can charge the
uninsured, or to allow them to write it down.  No two hospitals charge the
same, but the "book" price is exponentially more than the actual true cost.  On
the level of air force toilet seats or hammers.  Aspirin at $10 a pill.
Hospital stays generate fairie tale bills, in no way based on reality of costs.
 Insurance companies agree to pay a multiple of the actual cost to provide, and
then figure out how to weasel out of paying it unless the consumer raises a
snit large enough to garner outside attention.

My SiL works for a major medical insurance provider.  The hoops and
machinations required to get the service you paid for are terrifying.  The
patient is getting buggered and the hospital is going to come after you for
payment at the higher fee.  Insurance company got your cash, and fights hard to
not pay for service.  SiL moved from the claims denial branch to the vacuuming
cash out of a large employer section, as it hurt her morally to keep people
from accessing health care.  Now she streamlines getting a major aerospace
company's cash to service workers health needs.