When my 300TD did this, the problem turned out to be a bad diode in the
alternator.  I replaced the rectifier assembly (twice) and both replacements
also failed.  Finally, I replaced the alternator with a Bosch reman from
Rusty and it never failed while I owned the car.  Use care not to damage the
pulley moving it to the new alternator; even a small burr will destroy the
belt in short order.

Troubleshooting this (current leak) problem is straight forward assuming you
have and can use a multimeter. I use leads with alligator clips to free up
my hands.  Most loads are fused so pulling fuses, one by one, while watching
the meter, will tell you if one of those circuits is the problem.  The start
relay has its own fuse.  The starter and alternator are hard wired to the
battery (no fuse).  The ETM for your vehicle can be quite helpful.

I doubt a battery is the root cause but running a battery to zero will kill
the battery, especially if done repeatedly and if left discharged for any
time.