I really don't think it is 'just fine' with health care, but it's accepted
practice all the way to POTUS, so obviously I am in the minority.

The thing I don't get is that this 'mentality' protects the folks who can
afford healthcare insurance ( wealthier ) while shafting the poor who cannot in
any manner be privy to negotiation tools.  This is not the normal POTUS
position.  ACA may be a tool to turn that situation around, because my friends
who had private insurance are now paying 3 times what they paid prior to ACA.
But in the end, they still have the negotiation tools that are not available to
the guy on the street corner selling papers.