On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 1:14 AM, Hendrik and Fay <heni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually I think the Kubelwagen (body made by an American company) was
> based on the VW.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_K%C3%BCbelwagen

Huh!  I grew up in Philly, and never knew the stainless steel El cars and
suburban commuter cars I rode to school and work were kin to the Kubels.
Nifty!

> who has never owned a VW but a Kubelwagen would be cool, alas not
> available in RHD but should qualify for exemption

There's an outfit in New Mexico <http://www.kooblekar.com/> that converts Type
182s (UK Trekkers) <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_181>to Kubels;
find yourself a Trekker, get the conversion kit and Hans's yer uncle!  ;-)

-MMM-