Thanks for your input.  Problems with Benzes usually have obvious
solutions, but in this case which is more "obvious" - bad (new) air cells
or improper levelling adjustment via the rear valve?

Could be anything, in the face of vandalism.  I'd start by
disconnecting the valve linkage, and seeing if the car can
be moved up and down manually with the valve.  If, for example,
your car had too-strong springs _and_ hydraulic struts, maybe
it's rammed up against the top of its travel and you're bouncing
along on tire flex?  I'd think the ass would too high then,
but perhaps there is more wrong than just one thing.

Figure out how the system works, in detail, then start looking
with a critical eye, experimenting, etc.  It's actually fairly
simple.  Dare I say, elegant.  Sucks when it's broken, though.

-- Jim