On 14/04/2014 2:56 PM, Andrew Strasfogel wrote:
I left some tasty dry food in his downstairs apartment late last night, but
he "forgot" to check his food dish and woke me up.  I then got out of bed
to show him his food dish, and he proceded to happily chow down.

You just need more imagination.
You need to rig up some sort of auto release setup outside the bedroom.
When the cat starts making noises, hit a button that dumps some food and rings a little bell.
Pavlov's sort of thing.
In no time flat, he should be trained to go eat where and when the bell dings.

Maybe even set it up with an clock trigger so it happens just before he would normally start to make noise so that he does not wake you up?

Randy