Have you considered free feeding?

This is a hotly contested subject (not here) between cat breeders. With all the
cats we have had over the years as both pets and as breeders, we have always
done free feeding. At times you do have to apply some Kitty counseling,
especially with a new cat or an outsider. Some cats will try to control the
food source to "protect" it from the others. This is perfectly normal behavior,
as cats in the wild will bury their catch if they can't eat it at one sitting.
The formerly feral cat we have in the house now will routinely act as if she is
"covering" (scratching around her vowel as if she is burying it) her food when
she is done eating.

Anyway, with a single cat it's pretty easy, especially if you use a dry food or
kibble. Yes, they can get overweight with this approach, but a lot of that has
to do with the type of food you feed them.

Our cats always got dry food, which was available throughout the night and day.
You'll find that they rarely feed at night, and will often adapt their schedule
to the humans in the household.

Dan King Kitty

Sent from my iPad