Turpentine on a rag, outside. Wipe it down, scrub it, whatever, to get the old nasty stuff off (if indeed it is oil and not varnish or shellac). You can then put on more oil (tung oil or boiled linseed oil) or a Watco danish oil which is more like a varnish that you wipe on. You wipe it on, let it sit a few minutes, then wipe off the excess and let it dry. You will want to do several coats, maybe a day in between but not a lot longer. After a coat or two you might want to hit it with 400 or 600 grit sandpaper to take out the nibs, last time put on a thinned coat (mix in some of that turpentine), let it dry, then use some 0000 steel wool and paste wax to buff it up, let it sit a few minutes then buff with a soft cloth. Will look awesome.

Or just give it to me.

--R