The 1st problem was believing what the politicians were telling people. When the politicians were "selling" the 16th Amendment, it was said it would only apply to the "super rich" which quickly came to include a progressive tax on all income from all sources. At the time, there was a general dislike of those who had made huge fortunes as the country grew exponentially. I assume the media stirred those feelings to increase the public's dislike. Then of course, they needed the IRS (who have extraordinary policing powers) to police the population & beat the bushes - and the public's collective butt - for every last penny. Just think how nice it would be to have a national sales tax with no more "under the table" economies - every sale would be taxed and there would be no deductions (the real estate agents will howl) but the people will all have more money to work with - especially the middle class.

    All IMNSHO of course....   ;-)

Have a great day -
Larry