-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Dave M.
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2006 12:41 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 84 300SD Starter Question

Alan,

In my experience, jump-starting a diesel - whether it's a little VW
diesel, or an MB diesel - is very different than your typical gas
engine. To make a long story somewhat shorter, I finally learned that
6 gauge, or even 4 gauge, booster cables are nearly useless. 2 gauge
is barely adequate, but it's hard to find anything larger unless you
make them yourself from welding cable. The smaller cables make the
engine turn over verrrrry slowly. Bigger cables, or doubling-up two
pairs of smaller ones, made a HUGE difference even on my little VW
diesel 4-banger.

The best deal I know of is at AutoZone. They have a nice set of
2-gauge, 20-foot cables, made in USA, with beefy clamps for $39. I
looked all over and that's the best deal I could find for seriously
heavy-duty cables.

While your 300SD *could* have some other electrical issues, my money
is on the booster cables you were using. Try bigger ones, or simply
get the battery fully charged - that will eliminate that possibility
quickly. If a fully-charged Group 49 battery is having trouble
spinning the engine, you either have wiring problems, or a starter
going out.

:-)

-Dave M.