At the close of WW2 there were acres of warbirds, and new spare parts, some
of the airplanes only had ferry time on them from the factory to the
storage facility. They were sold for scrap.

One of the fellows I flew charter with was of that era, upon discharge he
bought a P 51 to fly in the Bendix air race for $1,500 dollars. Being a
hotshot WW2 fighter pilot he ran the whole race at military power until the
engine blew, made an emergency landing somewhere in the wilds of Kansas and
sold it for scrap.  He crashed, raced, ruined, and wore out several other
fighters of the era.. all because they were scrap anyway and cheap. Had he
kept them all they would be worth millions now.

Standard military procedure at that time was to always fuel up an airplane
upon landing, so the airplanes setting in depot were full of fuel. One
scrap dealer bought up all the "scrap" he could get, drained the tanks and
started "Whiting Gas Stations" which were an Icon along Route 66 for a long
time. He then crushed and sold all the airplanes for scrap aluminum. They
had onsite smelters at Kingman AZ for example. You can google "Kingman ww2
airplanes" and should find pictures of acres of fighters and bombers flown
there and "stored".. to be sold. Goodyear AZ also had a huge depot, as well
as Davis Monthan in Tucson AZ [still active storage site].