Not sure if it is feasible to fully automate a truck, insofar that it can drive itself from depot to depot. What I saw there was a truck on a multi lane highway, which is a lot different from driving around town or a single lane highway.
What happens if the system crashes?
I would think you still need a driver to sit behind the wheel until such time as the system is 100% perfect and able to cope with whatever situation arises. Daimler have been messing with this for a while and their driverless car looks mucho better than the google thing http://www.wimp.com/driverlesscar/

Hendrik
who still does it old school manual style