> > > Jim Cathey wrote:
> > >
> > > Sounds a lot like a train, dunnit?

> > Craig wrote:
> >
> > I was thinking the very same thing; you beat me to it.
> >
> > Trains on rails also have cars that can take fully-loaded semi
> > vans so the origination and destination points can be as
> > flexible as a semi driven between those points.

> G wrote:
>
> Big difference with trains over trucks.  The day when businesses
> had rail spurs to unload boxcars of goods vaporized over 50 years
> ago.

That was Craig's point.  With "inter-modal" the same container that
is on the ship is on the train is on the trailer.  Or just
"piggy-back" with a regular road trailer on the rail car.

But the reason the truck "wins" over railroad is time.
Just-In-Time manufacturing deliveries, sellers and buyers who
_can't_ wait a fortnight for their load of goods, fresh vegetables
in New York from the far west coast - these are the situations
where trucks win.  And it costs more to ship via truck.

As I understand, an express train with priority can make the 3000
mile trip from LA to New York in 7 days.  Normal freight is quite a
bit slower.  A team-driven truck can do the same trip in less 3
days.  A solo-driven truck will still beat the express train by
making the trip in 5-6 days.  Nothing special or high priority
about these trucks - just ordinary, everyday trucks.

So I-gotta-have-it-now trumps the lower cost of the railroad.

> The battle between a semi tractor/trailer with 80,000 lbs. of goods
> and the commuter "smart car" driver, is one nobody wins.

Too true...

Most trucks weigh less than the federal weight limit of 80,000 lb
[36,300 kg] (since a typical road truck and trailer have an empty
weight of about 30,000 lb [13,600 kg], there is usually no more
than 50,000 lb [22,700 kg] of goods) - but even an empty
tractor/semi-trailer combination results in a no-win encounter.

--    Philip