Don't get me wrong proper snow tires, even cheap ones are worth their weight in
gold when you're seriously in the snow but for somebody who doesn't live in the
snowbelt they're probably excessive.

I remember one time when it started snowing around noon. At 2pm the state (MA)
suggested companies let their employees go home and loads of people did so it
was just like evening commute but slowed due to the snow. It was snowing
probably an inch an hour which is pretty good and amounting faster than the
plows could keep up. My 1 hour commute turned into a 4 hour slog. I had my '85
190D 5spd which had just gotten its first set of snow tires.
The guys who have been to my house can tell you about the big S curve on Rt2
that climbs and leans to the left. I found myself on there with a mid '90s
Tunderbird in front and a Toyota 4wd pickup beside me. The guy in the
Thunderbird was having a tough time, every time he gave it some gas the back
end would break free and slam into the barrier between our lane and opposing
traffic. The Toyota was having an equally tough time, he'd pointed his truck up
the hill and was crabbing sideways up the road. I was having no difficulty at
all, I had the 190D in 2nd and was idling up the hill. Finally the Thunderbird
spun out, I nudged the go-pedal and navigated around him and just behind the
Toyota. As I passed him the Toyota finally lost it and slid down the hill into
the Thunderbird effectively blocking the entire road. I gave the 190D a little
more go, grabbed third and never saw another vehicle behind me the rest of the
way home. I already knew snow tires were
 worth it but after that I was completely sold. Thats with the cheapest no-name
brand snow tires the tire store had, I can only imagine what real good snows
are like.

-Curt