i drove a 6.3 for a few years.  it's not that amazing by modern standards
but just shows how much cars sucked 40 years ago.  i also drove a euro
600SEL, the equivalent car of roughly 20 years ago and it made the 6.3 into
a joke

i imagine today's super performance cars are unreal and slightly above
average cars match up well to the 6.3

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 5:04 PM, ned kleinhenz via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> I recently came across an enthusiast's article about the 1970 Mercedes
> 300SEL 6.3.
> The numbers in the article sounded really familiar.  They were very close
> to the numbers of my 2006 E320 CDI.  So I looked specs of both cars and
> made this table:
>
> Year                         ~1970                            ~2006
>
> Model                     300SEL 6.3                   E320 CDI
>
> Curb wt                    4035 lb                        3835 lb
>
> Wheel Base              112.8 in                     112.4 in
>
> Length                       196.9 in                     189.7 in
>
> Width                           71.3 in                      71.3 in
>
> Height                         57.9 in                       57.0 in
>
> Engine                      6.3 liter SI                    3.2 liter CI
>
> Type                          DOHC V8                  DOHC I6 Turbo
>
> Fuel                          Gasoline                     Diesel
>
> Power                       250 hp                        201 hp
>
> Torque                     369 lb-ft                       369 lb-ft
>
> Transmission            4–spd auto                5-spd auto
>
> 0 to 60                       6.5 sec                       6.6 sec
>
> ¼ mile                         15.1 sec                   15.3 sec
>
> Top Speed               137 mph                      130 mph
>
> Fuel Mileage           ~ 15.2 mpg                  27 city / 37 hwy mpg
>
> Hwy Range              410 mi on 27 gal        740 mi on 20 gal
>
> Base Price               $14,500                        $51,050
>
> To Compare -
>
> Cost of a GTO           $3,500                        $30,000
>
> Many specifications of the two cars are strikingly similar.  They are a
> testament to how far automotive technology has advanced in 36 years.  The
> 1970 model was an exotic super car.  The 2006 diesel was near the bottom of
> the E class line, and is used frequently as a taxi.  I'm sure most of the
> performance specs are disputable.  But I stuck as much as possible with the
> manufacturer's claims.
>
> To compare values and reduce the affect of inflation, I compared the prices
> with to those of my favorite muscle car - Pontiac GTO.  The 1970 300SEL 6.3
> cost 4X the price of a contemporary GTO.  The 2006 CDI cost only about 1.7X
> the price of its contemporary GTO.
>
> The comparison may or may not be significant.  But it seems reasonable and
> is fun.
>
> Ned Kleinhenz

> individuals are responsible for the content of the post.  The list owner

*reliable vendor of superior parts for mercedes and other european cars*
*www.BuyEUROparts.com <http://www.BuyEUROparts.com>*