My hill story.

I grew up in kettle moraine hills in central Wisconsin, just a few miles
from the highest point in the state, Timm's Hill.  Our house was at the end
of a gravel road a little less than a mile long.  The drive was all hills
and turns, and many drivers ended up in the ditch, most in winter but some
when there was no snow.

Leaving highway 86, it is a ninety-degree turn onto our road. The first
hundred yards or so is a mild uphill, a long sweeping turn, with a steep
bank to one side, and trees on the other.

One summer day, a neighbor called for help pulling a stuck truck at their
place, several miles away.  We had only one four-wheel drive vehicle, a
rusted-out Willy's Jeep, circa 1945, with no brakes.  It was our winter
plow vehicle, and was reasonably safe to drive with a snow plow mounted
that you could drop and use as an anchor when you needed to stop.  It also
had a high-low range transfer case, so in low range with a little clutch
action and engine braking, it could be slowed considerably.

The decision was made to remove the plow, and I would drive the Jeep, while
Dad and my little brother would drive one of our other vehicles.  Last
crucial detail: the transfer case was worn out, so a big thick rubber band
was used to hold the lever in low range.

We set out, Dad in the lead, and just as we started down the last hill of
our road, which ended at the highway, the rubber band broke and Jeep was
free wheeling.  Gulp!  Try as I might, it would not go back into gear.

I tried to slalom in the loose gravel to kill speed, swerving back and
forth, but that wasn't too effective.  As I overtook Dad, I had to
straighten out.  I flew by him on the right, gathering speed toward that
T-intersection with the highway.  Thinking fast, I decided to use the ditch
on the right side of the road like a banked curve at the intersection with
the highway.

Wouldn't you know it, as I sped up to the highway, there was a loaded
logging truck, stacked high with trees, passing from left to right.  If I'd
gone straight through the intersection, he would have creamed me.  I turned
hard right, into the ditch alongside our gravel road, which immediately
banked right to run parallel with the highway.  The Jeep made the turn
without flipping, and I ended up running right down the shoulder, right
next to that logging truck, maybe five feet between us.   I coasted to a
stop,  put the Jeep in gear and shut it off, got out and was just so happy
to be alive...

Max Dillon,
Charleston SC