I read in more detail and saw that you think you have OSX 10.8.

If that is is the case, then you should have a recovery volume on the machine.
reboot or start up while holding the "Command + R" keys down.  Don't let up on
it until you see some nard drive icons show up on the screen.  These are
volumes that are bootable.  Once of them should be the Recovery HD volume.
Choose (click) on it and press "Enter".

Dan