Now the machine has locked up with 1.90/5.32GB downloaded, looks like it gorked when the screen sleep or whatever kicked in.

--R

On 8/23/14 4:58 PM, Peter Frederick wrote:
Unfortunately, some security upgrades can cause serious issued on older (more than two years older than the OS) machines.

Crappy support from Apple -- they really only want you to use a device for a year or two and buy another one, in spite of the fact that usually their hardware is very robust -- I'm using a MDD G4 dual 1.25GHz desktop to write this with zero issues once I got good memory in it.

The root issue is bad security development in the first place, and since it's Unix, that goes back a long, long way. No excuse, especially at the price point, but it is what it is.

Microsoft is STILL trying to kill off XP, after all. Sadly, it was by far the most stable OS they ever produced. I've not had serious problems with 7 at work, and I detest 8, but it's too early to tell.

I do abhor the new Office package. Some idiot decided that all the menus needed to be changed around and everything re-named, and the whole screen is now pastels and low contrast -- I hope whoever decided that gets fired when they are 55 because they made a stupid mistake from being unable to read the options list....

Peter