 From: Randy Bennell via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
To: G Mann <g2ma...@gmail.com>; Mercedes Discussion List
<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 9, 2014 3:15 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] N

*The big picture:*

  * Every year in the U.S., an average of more than 100,000 people are
    shot, according to The Brady Campaign To Prevent Gun Violence

<http://www.bradycampaign.org/xshare/Facts/Gun_Death_and_Injury_Stat_Sheet_3-Year_Average_FINAL.pdf>.
  * Every day in the U.S., an average of 289 people are shot. Eighty-six
    of them die: 30 are murdered, 53 kill themselves, two die
    accidentally, and one is shot in a police intervention, the Brady
    Campaign

<http://infocenter.nbcuni.ge.com/ResearchTopic/IssuesControversies/GunViolenceFacts.html>
 reports.
  * Between 2000 and 2010, a total of 335,609 people died from guns --
    more than the population of St. Louis, Mo. (318,069), Pittsburgh
    (307,484), Cincinnati, Ohio (296,223), Newark, N.J. (277,540), and
    Orlando, Fla. (243,195) (sources: CDF

<http://www.childrensdefense.org/child-research-data-publications/data/state-data-repository/protect-children-not-guns-key-facts-2013.pdf>,
    U.S. Census <http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/index.html>; CDC
    <http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate10_us.html>)
  * One person is killed by a firearm every 17 minutes, 87 people are
    killed during an average day, and 609 are killed every week.
    (source: CDC)

*Homicides by weapon:*

  * Handguns comprised 72.5 percent of the firearms used in murder and
    non-negligent manslaughter incidents in 2011; 4.1 percent were with
    shotguns; 3.8 percent were with rifles; 18.5 percent were with
    unspecified firearms.

I still think that bullet proof shelving should be installed in all
retail stores for the protection of the people.

RB