Well, thats pretty much what they do.  I have a bare-bones GLK 250 blue tec
as a company car right now.  It has very few options, not too many of the
modern gizmos.  I really like it, despite not liking SUVs.  I think it
actually rides better than the C class!  And the 4 cylinder diesel is
wonderful.  They're not cheap cars, but they never have been.  Remember,
even 240Ds were expensive when they were new.

The B class is a simple and effective car, although only sold as an EV in
the US.

Jaime