The UV protection is applied only to the outer surface. To keep them from deteriorating again you need to coat them with something to stop the UV getting to the Lexan (which is what I assume the lens is made of, that's the usual optical material, although I suppose it could be something else these days).

Otherwise it goes much quicker than before you removed the failing coating.

Makes me glad all my cars have glass.

Peter