I'd stick with 12 gage as long as the gun "fits" the shooter.  Everything is
harder to find and often more expensive in 20 gage.  Lower recoil target
shells are readily available in 12 gage.  I think a pump gun is more
versatile (and less expensive) than a side-by-side or over-under
configuration.  As others have mentioned, a basic pump gun (e.g.  Remington
870 or Mossberg 500 series) can be had for a few hundred dollars, new. But
the sky is the limit in fancy guns.  My neighbor (competes at Nationals) has
guns costing over $10K.