A friend of mine and his brother would put a little gasoline in glass gallon jugs, lay them on the side on a table, get under the table then light off the gasoline fumes. I never saw it but is sounds explosive. They had it down to where the flame would shoot out of the jug without exploding.

My fun was tamer. I traded something for a .50 caliber casing. When I picked up some .45 ACP shells, I figured they fit inside the .50 casing. I drilled a hole in the breech end of the .50 casing, just big enough for a ladyfinger firecracker. 50 firecrackers could entertain me for a week. I'd put a firecracker in the shell, put a .45acp casing in the muzzle and set off the firecracker. I was probably 7 or 8 at the time. It didn't shoot far, but it was good entertainment, and good physics lessons. I think I only lost one .45 shell the whole time.

When I was 10, I was in the basement melting down .22 slugs to make sinkers.

Now the nannys are sure that touching lead will kill the kid.

I think neither Huck nor Tom Sawyer, nor Sam Clemons would think handling lead was hazardous.

Fun later in HS, I took my 6mm remington, and I had a rectangular gallon prestone can (remember those?) filled with water. When I shot the can, it jumped up in the air unwrapped the top and bottom and then unwrapped the sides and when it hit the ground, it was nearly flat, with two holes.

Before that, I had an M80 and stuck it in a prestone can. THe M80 unwrapped the can nicely too.

Out on the River, someone had a sack of M80s and was tossing them off the stern as we went downriver. I thought it was like a scale model of a destroyer laying down depth charges.

Good fun.    Very frowned on now.

Great story G,
That carbide Cannon sounds GREAT! I think they used to advertise them in Comic Books or other magazines for imaginative kids. ;-) Sometimes I wonder how we survived! no bike helmets, we had BB guns and real guns, firecrackers, cherry bombs, M80s, etc.