For a semi-auto pistol for range shooting for a beginner, I second another
member's recommendation of a Ruger.  I own a Mark I and love it.  Another
member has stated a preference for it over the Mark II or III.  I am not
aware of any factors making these less desirable, OTOH I have read of some
improvements of the II and III over the I.

Someone else commented that 9mm ammo is more reliable than .22.  I have not
seen this to be true IME.  Although there is the occasional dud with .22s, I
have seen roughly the same percentage of 9mm and .40 cal duds on the range
with well-maintained firearms and factory fresh ammo.  With .22s I suppose
brand and QC would make a difference.

The Ruger is a great piece of engineering.  It is rugged, durable and
available in a variety of configurations.  Target sights and a bull barrel
would be more desirable for range use.  There is also a grip angle similar
to the M1911 for those who are used to or otherwise favor that grip angle.

For centerfire pistols Sig, Glock, and H&K are all credible choices.  The
.40 and .45 are superior to the 9mm for social purposes.

I favor revolvers for centerfire for all but social purposes.  Semi-autos
can be fussy about powder charge and bullet profile.  If the charge is too
light the action will not cycle.  Bullets other than roundnose may not feed
well.  A revolver can work with any load that will get the bullet out of the
barrel.  It will fire semi-wadcutters and wadcutters just as easily as
roundnose.  The .357 is a highly credible defensive weapon, and can fire .38
spl. target loads too.  I suspect that handloaded .38 spl. target loads are
similar in cost to .22 ammo.  S&W, Ruger, and Colt make fine revolvers.  For
imports, Taurus is also fine quality.

Greg