Jim Cathey wrote:
generator.  It was incredibly big and loud, appealing.  I never
understood the 400Hz aspect of aircraft power but there you go.

I think it has to do with smaller, lighter magnetics.

Yes, exactly. The amount of core steel you need in things like transformers is inversely related to the frequency. It has to do with the core saturating more easily at lower frequencies. The tradeoff is the losses due to hysteresis in the core and skin effect in the conductors become higher, so you're trading off weight for efficiency.