I think it was charge/discharge cycles over time.  Something like 8-10 years,
but as little as six.   Short trips and poor driving habits (hard braking and
accel).   The base load is handled by the gas engine, the electric is used for
power boost on highway and for slow speed/city traffic/starts.  Gas cuts off at
a stop, battery takes over for ultra slow speed travel until something like
6+mph.   There is also a latent drain on the main lithium cells at rest.  If
the car is not taken for a ride regularly, it drains and reduces capacity and
life span.

Grandma had an early priapismo and it died quietly in the garage.  It being a
sunday driver less than a mile to church.

clay