There was quite the row earlier this year over Keurig coming out with a new
design of the little plastic cups that would have an RFID chip or something in
them that would prevent people from using non-Keurig cups in their machines.

I suspect this was a response to the third party stuff on the market for their
current machines as well as the refillable ones you can buy and fill with your
own coffee.

We had a vending machine at my former office that dispensed those cups.  $1.00
for a cup of coffee!!

Dan