I have my 40yo Pioneer turntable (quite nice) hooked up to my 20yo Sony receiver and thence to my iMac. I occasionally rip a vinyl album using Audacity then export an MP3 to iTunes, which is sorta crappy way to do it but it works OK. I have some CDs I have made in the past using the same process but going to whatever the CD format was from Audacity, and converting to MP3 too for iTunes.

You are doing it pretty much right if it works and sounds half decent. Audacity has a clean-up function now too I think, I recall using it once and it did improve the recording but did not eliminate all the pops. I think it has a track separation function too so you can separate the tracks easily and then name them for export. Been awhile since I have fooled with it, I always have to relearn how to do it all.

I heard on the radio yesterday that vinyl sales are booming again, the hipsters have discovered turntables!

--R