He’s talking about getting into a G5 Mac Pro, which is a beast of an enclosure.

Everything is very accessible as far as service items, but getting to the CPUs
can be challenging, mainly because they weren’t intended to be removed or
serviced by the end user.

My Mac Pro (Intel) has upgraded processors that I installed, which took about
45 minutes to an hour to do for a full R&R.  They require some unique tools to
do easily, but other than that it’s not that difficult.  This is definitely not
a job like swapping processors on a regular PC or server, as there’s a lot to
do to get to the heat sinks.  The heat sinks are massive, and are anchored very
well.

As for monitoring temperatures and fan speeds, the SMC Fan Control app is great
for older Macs and pre-Yosemite machines.  There’s another app called “Macs Fan
Control” that works well in Yosemite machines.  Both of these allow manual
control of cooling fans as well as automatic modes.

Do note that in Mac Pros there are 18 different temperature sensors.  Between
these and four fans, it’s a balancing act to maintain cooling under any
circumstances other than allowing the controller to do it.  I have tinkered
with mine on occasion and found that changing one fan speed can have some
interesting effects on other areas of the machine….

Attaboy!

MacDann