Stall is all about airspeed (not enough) and angle of attack (too much).
Amazing vertical wind currents are possible around thunder storms.
Downdrafts can be dangerous.  I don't see how an updraft would cause a crash
unless the flight crew was disoriented and made bad choices or structural
limits were exceeded.