I was the first in the family to NOT have a VW Beetle for a first car.  Not
sure how that happened, but....

When I was in either late middle school or early high school, my brother had a
60's Beetle of some sort.  He played baseball after school, so he would often
ride with a friend to school and then home from practice.  This meant I was
home by myself in the afternoon after school, with his Beetle in the garage.

I would sneak his car out and drive it around the neighborhood.  If the fuel
was down a little, I would top it off from the tank we had for the tractor and
other yard implements.  No one ever knew I drove it - I never got caught.

The punch line is thus:

When my Dad brought the Maverick home, he took me out to "teach" me to drive a
stick shift.  We lived on a road that was a large rectangle, so it was easy
enough to drive around the block without disturbing anyone or dealing with
traffic.

Despite having to figure out how a column shifter worked, I was able to drive
the car quite well (I thought) for a "beginner" after just a few turns around
the block.

Dad was very perplexed.  I suspect he knew something was up...

Dan