If the flap on the bottom of the thermostat isn't correct, it won't work properly and will cause overheating if it doesn't close off the short circuit around the block it is supposed to seal off. This is designed to heat the engine up more quickly, and in spite of the very simple design, I'm always amazed at how many variations there are from the factory spec. After all, to make one you would only need measure a factory thermostat and make sure the diameter of the flap is the same and the locations hot and cold match.

I've had this issue many times (radiator caps are also a problem, many don't seal well and often are rated for 14 psi rather than 20....)

My parts supplier only uses Behr or Whaler thermostats if he cannot get genuine Mercedes, and even then occasionally you get a bad one. Behr and Whaler are OEM suppliers, so they always fit, have the correct bleed valves in the proper places, etc. Other sources are usually correct only in the diameter of the main housing, quite often that is the only thing identical.

Peter