Question:
During the course of all this, has anyone ever physically removed the water
pump for visual inspection of the vanes?

Years ago.. I had a chevy 283 [may tell you how many years ago it was] that
displayed the same symptoms.  It turned out to be one of the vanes of the
water pump had sheared off and was acting as a flapper valve in the block
passages. Sometimes it would be edge wise, and coolant would flow, cooling
normal... then it would flip flat across the passage and in minutes,
overheat..

It got new radiators, new hoses, thermostats.. the works.. nothing
worked... the water pump still pumped water so it looked like there was
coolant flow through the radiator... then... the vane would shift [always
while driving it, of course] and temp would go to max overheat..

Even when the water pump was finally pulled and the missing vane
discovered.. we had a tough time flushing the broken part out of the
block...

Seems to me, this could be a possible in this case.