Tim - the oil pressure gauge should read 0 before you start the engine. When it starts, the pressure will go right up to full scale (3 bar, or about 45psi) when cold, and when the engine is at operating temperature, will drop down to between 1.5 to 2 bar at idle (for a good condition engine). M-B spec for bottom end rebuild is around 0.7bar at hot idle, as I recall.

As for headlights, "halogen" normally refers to the gas around the filament in the bulb. If its a "sealed beam", then the bulb is not separately replaceable from the whole headlamp in my definition.

Werner

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Mercedes Discussion List'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 12:04 AM
Subject: [MBZ] a couple of questions - headlights, oil pressure

Hello folks -

a)  Thanks to those who offered advice on headlight adjustments - much
better now though I did discover the left light is messed up somewhere at
the lower edge - can't tell if broken or just disconnected or what...will
look at when light out again, or at minimum just figure out something to jam
in there to hold light in correct position for now....

b)  My headlights are the stock (non-Euro refit) lights.  Yet, they say
"sealed beam" AND "halogen" on them - stamped in the lens glass. I thought the two were mutually exclusive. Can anyone clarify what's going on there?

c) I just realized that the oil pressure gauge goes to top when key turned on, and stays that way through startup, driving. Should I expect it ever to
drop, or do these tend to just run at full pressure - i.e, is this normal,
or an indication of a failure mode on the gauge?  Apologies if this is
explained in the owner's manual....

Thanks,
Tim C.
83 300SD