However, you can only see the outside. It is possible that a crack is
between ports inside. the symptoms don't sound like a cracked head though.
The best theory that I've heard so far is the floating piece of crap that
blocks a passage sometimes, and not others. Perhaps (and this is a wild
guess) it's a chunk of scale that broke off a surface inside a water
passage and is now rotating from a blocking to non-blocking position. If
so, and aggressive, extensive citric acid cleansing might dissolve it. Re
member that you have to de-oil the coolant passages before the citric acid
can fully work - dishwasher detergent is your friend . . .

--
OK Don

NSA: The only branch of government that actually listens to US citizens!

for themselves."

2013 F150, 18 mpg
2012 Passat TDI DSG, 44 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!