And regarding the Granada, I vaguely remember the ad campaign that
called it something like "A European luxury sedan at an American
price."

A steaming POS.  We had one, for which my dad sold our '65
Mercury Park Lane.  The Merc was an American luxury car, and
the first time I rode in the Granada I thought it was broken.
Incredibly noisy when compared to the Merc.  I think that
Merc had a 390 in it.  I know it was pretty fast, and got
sucky gas mileage.  So, in fact, did the Granada.  Just about
the same mileage but without any of the acceleration.  Handled
worse in the snow, too, and was less roomy.

-- Jim