To reply to my own post, Shuns are not a great value in that you can easily get a better knife for less money, not that there is something wrong with them. They do have a reputation for being "chippy", partially because they are quite brittle at least until the steel at the edge is removed by sharpening a couple times and because all Rockwell C 62 and harder knives are significantly more brittle than the usual run of stainless steel or carbon steel knives, which are usually around RC 56.

Use great care with them not to "rock chop" while walking the blade, if you twist it in contact with a cutting board they are VERY likely to chip out along the edge. This is true of most Japanese knives. You may need to pay attention to your knife handling for a bit to adapt -- they are better at "push cutting" than rocking, and have a flatter profile, too.

As far as ceramic knives go, they will stay sharp for a long time, but are brittle and can shatter if you drop them on hard flooring, and home sharpening isn't really possible, in general wet diamond power tools are necessary to avoid crumbling the edge. I know people who love them and people who won't have them in the house, suit yourself.

Chicago Cutlery with the style numbers stamped in the handles are US made, probably 440 Stainless if not carbon steel, and pretty decent knives. I have been having to sharpen them more than I would like, but that may be due to their condition when I got them used -- the edge was beaten pretty flat. Might hold an edge better with the battered steel ground off after a few more times on the stones.

Another knife to keep an eye out for is Forgecraft, long out of manufacture. These are unremarkable looking carbon steel -- watch out for rust! -- but run quite hard, RC 60 or 61 isn't uncommon. They take and hold an incredible edge with minimal work.

Peter