gassers control combustion by a flapper in the air intake, controlling airflow into the cyl. Diesels run at full air flow all the time, combustion is controlled with fuel. In effect coasting downhill, the fuel is shut off, no heat occurrs and the cylinders are washed with lotsa cool air. nothing to generate heat, cept friction.

Still not sure I understand why engine braking especially down hill would lower temps dramatically.
Perhaps it causes an air bubble to dislodge?

Anyway, I just forced the tstat open with a piece of brass tubing. Let's see what that does.

If I get no answers, I will take car to radiator shop. They said they will pressure test cooling system and also look for head leaks. About $100 for that service.
Sent from my iPhone