Exactly right. And most likely before the cops could show up to do the deed. And most likely saving (my and) other lives in the process. Exactly right.

The interesting thing is, most of these random shootings do not occur in places where the perp is likely to face opposition. They have the foresight to select a soft target, and when it is likely the target will not be soft, the perps either don't do the deed, or go somewhere easier. So deterrence works, and self-protection works.

I understand that some people just can't grasp or accept the realities involved. Even in places where the gun laws are stringent, wackos find a way, either with a gun or something else. France and the Charlie Hebdo business comes to mind, even the cop did not have a weapon to defend himself and the people he was "guarding." You have the right to your beliefs and I respect that though I disagree and find them puzzling when the facts mitigate against them. But, YMMV.

--R  (When seconds count, the police are only minutes away)