Using bones for soup stock (or anything else you use stock in) is as old as cooking.

Best to roast the bones to get rid of some of the fat an brown them a bit for more flavor, then simmer overnight (12 hours or longer, no boiling, simmering) to dissolve all the collagen.

Very rich tasty broth, I save all my bones from chicken, pork, and beef and when I have a pot full make stock. Soup if you want, but I use stock in stew, braised dishes, and so forth.

Waste not want not, and in this case, why throw out all that flavor?

Peter