The issue as I see it is that the genie is already out of the bottle, and
you can't put it back. There are too many guns already in circulation to
effectively reduce access to them, so stop trying to.

Yes, mental health is a major issue that gets ignored. However, relying on
identifying and treating potential violent offenders is also fraught with
it's own set of horrors. Who decides who get locked you for treatment when?

The statistics regarding the number of guns, number of citizens, and
frequency of shootings rather nullifies the need to carry a gun for
personal or even group defense. The likelihood of ever needing to use one
is extremely small, unless you like to put yourself in harms way.

If you look at the recent reporting of shootings, if we want to reduce
the gun violence rate, we need to dis-arm the police. Of course, a lot of
this is due to what's being reported when. Local shootings didn't get
reported nationally in the '50's and 60's.

--
OK Don
(Who advocates his right to own firearms because I like them, but don't