I bought a new hearing aid, best kind money can buy. Cost me $8000.

--R (sent from my miniPad)

On Mar 4, 2015, at 8:13 PM, archer75--- via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
wrote:

Dan Penoff wrote:
> I have had partial hearing loss in my left ear since I was a child, due
> mainly to some really nasty inner ear infections I had.  The frequencies
> affected are between 5kHz and 7kHz or thereabouts, smack dab in the middle of
> the range for normal speech.
>
> I would love to have some sort of hearing aid or assistive device. While I
> can hear, the lack of hearing in this range makes it pretty much impossible
> for me to carry on a conversation with anyone in an environment with a lot of
> background noise, like a loud restaurant or at a party.  If you speak to me
> in one of these places I can see your lips move but I can't hear a damned
> thing you say. It's frustrating and isolating.

G: Please let me know if the hearing aid you buy helps in a noisy environment.
My hearing aids, which were state of the art programmable about 15 years ago,
have never helped that problem; and I have never talked to anyone who had a
hearing aid that did although "every" hearing company for the past 40 years has
claimed that theirs solves the noisy environment situation.

> Insurance has never covered hearing aids.  Why????  I can buy insurance for
> vision, just about any other assistive device for any deficiencies I have as
> a human, but not hearing aids.

G: My Blue Cross insurance pays $1000 per hearing aid as do many other
insurors. This has been in effect for only a couple of years. If you are on the
counties group insurance plan, they may not.

> This is one of the reasons we changed over to Costco.  They are supposed to
> have in-house audiologists and good deals on hearing aids.  I haven't had a
> chance to check this out, but it's pretty high on my list.
> Dan

G: Costco sounds like a good bet since they have a fine reputation in other
respects. Otherwise, it's best to go to an ENT M.D. who has his own audiologist
and sells hearing aids.
Most of the rest are in the same category as car salesmen IMO.
Another option I just remembered was a med school. UF med school has a good
hearing department and sells hearing aids.
USF may have one as well.

Suggestion:
Buy the best you can afford since even the best is seldom as good as you hope
for.
Good luck,
Gerry