Since both my '84 300D & '85 300TD have trouble maintaining heat as chosen via the thumbwheel on the left of the PBU and I've been through (including resoldering) the troubleshooting guide numerous times for both units and not found a definitive problem. To explain about the problem of not maintaining heat, what actually happens for example when a temperature is chosen via the thumbwheel on the PBU say just below the MAX (note: click stop setting), the heat will gradually disappear within a couple minutes and I have to keep switching to MAX, etc. Since I've inspected the neoprene seals of the mono valve inserts in both cars using a 10X loop and haven't been able to locate any very small holes, I recently purchased new mono valve inserts and installed a new one in the 300D and drove it this evening and had no heat no matter what . . . go figure. Like I believe many others on this list, I wish these cars had the old mechanical heating/cooling control system and not the dreaded electronic fancilessness.
G. M. Brown
Brevard, NC

That is a bummer. I hope someone here can help you. Monovalve or PBU are most of the problems, other than the pods and vacuum solenoid switches. Seems like you have covered those.