AFAIK When you switch to max you are stopping all current flowing to the valve.
If the heat stops after you switch to any setting other than max, it sounds
like the coil might be shorted out. I would check the voltage across the leads
going to the valve while someone moves the control back and forth from heat to
no heat. You should get a variable voltage reading from zero to 12v or
something less. If not, then the whole valve may need to be replaced.

Since it is sometimes difficult to access bare wires or terminals I have a set
of test leads for a voltmeter on which I have soldered needles. If it's
difficult to get to bare terminals, I shove the needles through the wires and
get a reading that way. Then I put a dab of liquid rubber on the holes where I
stuck the needles and wrap a piece of self-stick rubber tape around them.

Gerry

.....what actually happens for