Soda might work, or bead blasting. I thought of walnut shells, but those would have been too soft. The problem is that there are voids in the casting that end up exposed when blasted. Sand or garnet were far too harsh and made a mess of the one wheel I sacrificed to learn that lesson.

clay

You are thinking of carpathian walnut, the junk they grow in kollyfonia. I specifically said Eastern Black Walnut shells from Hammons. Entirely different. Different tree, different nut, different taste, different hull, different shell, different hardness.